If you would like to find out about the historic events in the oldest part of Barcelona don't miss out on this walking tour. It will reveal the most splendid period of the Catalan capital and its culture which can still be seen today. Every step of the tour is full of history, charm and magic.
This guided tour will explain every detail about the history of Barcelona from Roman times to the medieval period while you walk through its maze of streets and admire ancient buildings, museums, squares and small palaces. The Gothic Quarter has a charm all of its own with its narrow, cobbled streets, wrought-iron street lamps, buildings and delightful terraces that comprise hidden corners you can lose yourself in.
Highlights of the Gothic tour
- The two-hour walk begins in the Plaça Sant Jaume, the seat of the local, autonomous government during the Middle Ages and at the present time.
- Next, you'll explore the narrow streets leading to the Plaça del Rei, a unique site and the historic centre of power during the reign of the Catalan counts and monarchs.
- Beneath the square the remains of the Roman city of Barcino are laying with the impressive remains of the medieval city above it.
- To end the tour, close to the Plaça del Rei, you'll enter the imposing Barcelona Cathedral, built in different artistic styles throughout the centuries, next to the important surviving sections of the Roman walls.
From April to October
- English: daily at 9:30
- Spanish/Catalan: Thursdays at 11:30 and Saturdays at 11:30
- French: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 17:00
From November to March
- English: daily at 9:30
- Spanish/Catalan: Saturdays at 10:30
- French: Thursdays at 10:30
Duration of the tour is approx. 2 hours.
Closed: 1/1, 6/1, 30/3, 2/4, 1/5, 5/6, 24/6, 15/8, 11/9, 24/9, 12/10, 1/11, 6/12, 8/12, 25/12, and 26/12.
Please arrive at the meeting point 10 minutes before the tour starts.
- The booking of the public gothic tour is really easy: simply enter the number of people that you would like to book for on the top right and select a desired date.
- Then click on "Add to cart". You will receive an e-mail which confirms that we received your booking. Within 48 hours you will receive a mandatory booking confirmation.
- Together with the confirmation you get the voucher and a detailed direction to the meeting point at Plaça Sant Jaume.
- The stated terms of booking and cancellation apply
- If the tour is not feasable because of bad weather or for reasons that can't be influenced by us, we will give you a full refund. A cancellation will occur on site by the guide.
- No cancellation or handling fees up to 48 hours prior to the event